A Scarily Short and Ghastly Straightforward Local Halloween Guide

Lex Chapman

Students and staff at Stone Bridge are more than ready for endless streams of candy and howling winds. With Halloween a mere week away, students rush to check off every box of their Halloween bucket-list before haunted attractions close their doors and Spooky Season ends. 

For those looking for activities that don’t score too high on the this-is-kinda-terrifying scale, the choir department is hosting a Halloween Bash this Wednesday, Oct. 25 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. With just a $5 entrance fee, students can enjoy games and candy as well as show off their costumes. 

For film-bros and movie lovers willing to travel a bit further, Angelika Film Center in Mosaic, Fairfax is hosting Hitchcocktober, playing “Shadow of a Doubt” (PG) and “Psycho” (R). Over in DC, Landmark’s E Street Cinema will be playing “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” (R) on Oct. 27 and 28, with interactive elements as well as a live shadow cast alongside. As usual, costumes are encouraged. 

From Nov. 9 to 11, Stone Bridge’s Running Dogs are putting on their fall play, “Tales From The Haunted Bridge.” Four one-act shows will be performed: “The Monkey’s Paw,” “Tell-Tale Heart,” “On the Lane Bridge,” and an original piece “In the Office” written by senior Sofia Stanziola, who has previously written and directed the comedy one-act show “Hook, Line, and Sink Her.” After an astonishing six Blue Ridge Cappies wins for the 2023 spring musical “Footloose,” students are thrilled for the curtains to open once more. 

For those unwilling to act but hoping to dress up, trick-or-treating and handing out candy are classic traditions. Hundreds of Barbies accompanied by their Kens will walk around, as well as Robert Oppenheimers, one or two Wednesday Addamses, chefs Sydney Adamu and Carmy Berzatto from “The Bear, and Taylor Swifts running through fields with their Travis Kelces. The options are endless. 

However, with beloved local haunt attraction Fields of Fear open until Nov. 4, hundreds of courageous thrill-seekers will have the opportunity to get a good scare or two. Located in Chantilly, Fields Of Fear spans across 20 acres of chilling attractions such as Cornightmare, Dark Side Hayride, and The Forest: Back 40. (For more information on excellent local haunted houses, check out the Bulldog Tribune’s article on Local Halloween Attractions and keep an eye out for updated dates).  

Though not Halloween themed, Friday Oct. 27 is the last football game at home, and (hopefully) the Bulldogs will spook the Briar Woods Falcons off of the field.

Whether Halloween will mean eating bags of M&Ms in quick succession while rewatching “A Nightmare Before Christmas” or screaming at shadows in a corn field, students will for sure find their bit of fun on Halloween before looking onto scarier things, like the annual family favorite: Thanksgiving. 

About the Contributors
Manu Mishima
Manu Mishima, Staff Writer
Manu Mishima is a senior and first-year writer for the "Bulldog Tribune". She is an officer for the Progressives for the Future and National English Honor Society, and participates in both choir and theater. To her, the "New Yorker" cartoons are the epitome of comedy. In her spare time, Manu reads park-bench dedications, books, and movie subtitles.
Lex Chapman
Lex Chapman, Section Editor
Lex Chapman is currently a senior at SBHS and is a returning section editor for the "Bulldog Tribune". Lex also plays an active leadership role in the "SBHS Literary Magazine" and looks forward to seeing her peers’ creation in the 2023-2024 print edition. Between her experiences with photography, writing, editing, and social media management, Lex will make sure that her section of the newspaper is the best it can be.