Girls Lacrosse Kicks Off New Season

Spring sports seasons have just kicked off, and girls varsity lacrosse is off to a hot start after bringing home a win from their first two games of the season against Freedom and John Champe high schools.

The Bulldogs have outscored their opponents 37-13 to start the season. Coming off of a 12-3 season last school year, the girls are on track to improve beyond their previous finish with a cast of stellar talent this year. The team is led by three amazing captains: junior Megan Rotzler and seniors Sarah Arul and Tessa Madgwick. 

“We’re all super excited for the season, and we can’t wait to see how far we go,” Rotzler said. “Our energy is super supportive, everyone is always cheering someone else on.“

Girls lacrosse aims to improve their overall record and make it beyond their exit in the first round of playoffs to make it to the state championship this season.

“[The captains] really help lead the team, keep us on track, and give us extra guidance when we need it,” junior attackman Blaine Wooley said.

Perhaps the biggest key to success, however, is the girls’ friendship and camaraderie. Through off-the-field bonding activities and spending time together at practices, the players have formed a relationship that helps them play better against other schools. 

“[The atmosphere] is very encouraging,” Wooley said. “Since I’m newer, I’m still learning a lot of things, but my teammates are super helpful. They make sure I know what I’m doing.”

We’re all super excited for the season, and we can’t wait to see how far we go.

— Megan Rotzler

The start of the season is also notable for Rotzler hitting 100 career goals, a highlight from the girls’ game against John Champe. 

“We have worked to close the gap from a skill level against teams we played last year,” Coach Patrick Wade said, since the team moved up a division. “I think that the girls are showing that they are committed to being more competitive and successful this year, and we are seeing them working on bettering themselves outside of scheduled practice times.”

Cheer on the team at some upcoming games against Woodgrove at home on April 4, Heritage away on April 9, and Loudoun Valley away on April 12.

Scarlett Kelly
Scarlett Kelly, Staff Writer
Scarlett is currently a junior. This is her second year with the "Bulldog Tribune". She enjoys listening to music, some of her favorite artists are The Backseat Lovers, Bon Iver, Big Thief, and Phoebe Bridgers. She loves being outside, swimming, and hiking. She also loves to travel, especially to the beach, mountains, or the lake. She is also on the cross country and swim team and she is so excited for the year!