Hockey Skates Towards States

Hockey Skates Towards States

The ice hockey team continued their winning streak, with an impressive 10-3 victory against the Dominion and Potomac Falls combined team on Senior Night and the final game of their triumphant regular season. The Bulldogs now confidently surge into the playoffs as the no. 2 seed in their division, with the prospect of bringing home a state championship sliding ever closer.

The recent victory gives the team an 8-1-1 record and trounces their regular season statistics from previous years, including last season where the team lost in the semi-final round. The Bulldog’s upcoming contests look promising due to the trajectory of this winning season and the player’s experience with the sport. 

“I don’t even remember when I started playing,” senior forward Michael Lauterstein said. “My dad grew up in New York, so he played hockey, and he put me onto it.”

None of the team’s success would have been possible without the guidance of Lauterstein’s father and head coach, Nathan Lauterstein, and assistant coaches Dave Flieg and Al Braza, whose son is also on the team. 

“I started when I was 5 years old,” senior defensemen Daniel Braza said. “I started playing and I just loved the sport.”

The team has had many notable wins this season, including an 8-4 victory against rivaled Riverside and a hugely successful 7-1 final against Independence. Much of the team’s success on the ice has been attributed to its reliable defensemen and seasoned senior goalies. 

“I’ve been doing this since 3rd grade,” senior goalie Trevor Ray said. “I used to do a range of sports, but I didn’t click with them as well as I did with hockey. We didn’t have a goalie for our house team, and so they just stuck some pads on me, and I became a goalie. And I’ve loved it.”

Even with four senior veterans, who all intend to play in college, soon graduating from the team,  the future is bright for the school, having many promising young athletes still on the team and looking to take on bigger roles. 

Sophomore goalie Carson Ramsey has won all 5 games he’s played in, has the highest save percentage on the team with 0.952%, and in one game made 54 saves.  Jake Lauterstein, a sophomore forward, has made 29 goals, more than any player on the team. Fans can remain confident that the future of Bulldog ice hockey will not be any less exciting. 

“I love Stone Bridge hockey, I love coming out and supporting the school, seeing everybody play and put their greatest really on the ice, it’s really great, ” sophomore fan Katie Helge said. “It’s super fun to be here and support the school. Go Stone Bridge hockey!”

I love Stone Bridge hockey, I love coming out and supporting the school, seeing everybody play and put their greatest really on the ice.

— Katie Helge

As for the nearer future, the beginning of state championship playoffs will be held at the Ashburn Ice House on Feb. 28 at 5:00 p.m.  As the possibility and probability of a state championship win grows, it is important to recognize all of the work, time, and effort the Bulldogs put on the ice that is opening doors and building great moments for the school’s athletics. 

“There’s too many good memories to count,” senior goalie Noah Disney said. “I look up and see the fans in the stands on Friday nights…We’re going to win the state championship. This is our year.”

About the Contributor
Bridget Lockett
Bridget Lockett, Staff Writer
Bridget Lockett is a sophomore. She loves writing for the Cappies critic team and is excited for her first year on the "Bulldog Tribune". Outside of writing, Bridget enjoys debate, playing saxophone and drums, and rowing on the crew team. Her favorite book is Anne of Green Gables.