A “Cheer-ful” Season

Emma Goodfriend

The varsity cheer team brought great light into this fall sports season. While they showered football games with school spirit and dominated pep rallies, they also tumbled their way through an incredibly successful season of their own. 

This season, varsity cheer was ready to bring out the fire. Anyone in the stands during football games could tell that the team brought a whole new level of spirit this year. What stuck out the most, however, was the abundant chemistry in each performance. 

“Our bond on SBVC is unmatched,” junior Kendall Merrill said. “We are constantly laughing and having fun with each other at practices, games, and competitions.”

With the team’s strengthened connection, they worked and pushed themselves harder than ever. The Bulldog cheerleaders demonstrated hard work and dedication by putting their all into every last practice.

“We have made sure we do at least two full outs every practice, whether it’s in the morning or afternoon,” junior Kaely Godard said. “We have also made upgrades to our routine to make it [more] difficult.”

The squad trained hard this season, but made sure to have fun while doing so. The skilled showcase at the homecoming pep rally was only the first (of many) events meant to spread that enthusiasm. In an exciting, epic, and energetic performance, students saw the team flip into action, a small peek at things to come. 

In another act of enthusiasm, the cheer team showed up and showed out at the annual Spirit Bowl. Teams from all across Loudoun County come to “Bring It On” in a fun, but competitive atmosphere. It is held in the Stone Bridge gym where people fill the stands to support their team. This year, the cheer team represented Stone Bridge by breaking “the curse” of losing and bringing home the victory. 

“My favorite part of this season so far would have to be the Spirit Bowl competition at Stone Bridge,” Merill said. “This is my favorite thing because it’s our home competition and we get to perform in front of our own crowd in our home school.”

I’m so very proud of us and the hard work each and every single one of us put in each day.

— Anna Minnitti

The team persevered all the way to regionals, where they unfortunately didn’t qualify for the States Championships. While the season was cut short, it doesn’t take away from the incredible journey they went through. 

“We did really well this season; I think we grew into a very strong and bonded team,” senior Anna Minnitti said. “Unfortunately our season ended this week because we did not qualify for states, but I’m so very proud of us and the hard work each and every single one of us put in each day.” 

The Stone Bridge cheer team plans to continue to work hard into the next season. As for incoming freshmen, the current members made it clear that they must be prepared to bring their A game. 

“Bring the fire and bring the energy because if States [Championships] is your goal, expect there to be hard work ahead of you,” Minnitti said. 

The Stone Bridge cheer team dedicated more effort, more support, more risk, and more spirit to truly make a name for themselves this year, further establishing them as top athletes in the Stone Bridge hierarchy of sports. 

About the Contributors
Angelina Massimo
Angelina Massimo, Staff Writer
Angelina Massimo is a senior and a first year member of the "Bulldog Tribune". She grew up in New York and lived in Bermuda until sophomore year. She enjoys going to school sporting events and driving around Ashburn. She is a part of the Writing Center, as well as a member of the Stone Bridge Varsity Swim Team.
Emma Goodfriend
Emma Goodfriend, Staff Writer
Emma Goodfriend is a junior and a returning member of the "Bulldog Tribune". She has played soccer for 11 years, two of which were for Stone Bridge. Emma enjoys listening to music, especially artists like Alex G, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and Brent Faiyaz.