Girls Basketball Finish the Season Strong

Brennah Lee, Opinions Editor

The girls varsity basketball team has been doing well towards the end of their season. So far they have had 14 wins to 6 losses. Senior Chloe Madgwick has also broken a school record, becoming the all-time best scorer in girls basketball. Congratulations Chloe!

The Lady Bulldogs started their season off strongly with a 63-39 win for their first game of the season, against Jefferson WV High School on Nov 28, the girls also later beat the team with 47-38 again later. Their second game was against Riverside with a close winning score of 54-52 in what proved to be a real “nail-biter” match.

The girls went on to win against Rock Ridge 51-24 and 67-24, Park View 65-41, Forest Park 36-21, West Springfield 49-35, Briar Woods 47-36 and 42-36, John Champe 61-50, Woodgrove 49-34, Broad Run 62-43, and Potomac Falls 49-45, who they lost to earlier in the season with 44-47.

The team also lost close matches with Tuscarora 57-69 the first time, and 49-45 the second time, Freedom 40-59 the first time, and 40-56 the second time, and Battlefield 57-60.

The girls post season begins Feb. 12, and will end on March 8, if they make it to States.

Scoring this season has been led by sophomore Anne LeMaster, followed by senior Chloe Madgwick. Madgwick has already committed to play D3 at Muhlenberg College.

Other large contributions include Taylor Hafer, Kyra Ledermann, and Sarah O’Day.

The girls JV team has a score of 11 wins to 9 losses this season so far.

The JV, freshman, and varsity teams all started off with tryouts on Monday Nov. 6, followed by scrimmages against Loudoun Valley on Nov. 17 and Oakton on Nov. 18.

“I’m looking forward to having a fun and succesful season.” junior Cat-Thy Dang said. “I really like the sport and spending time with my teammates.”

This year the varsity team consists of 13 girls from all grades, and they will be coached by Head Coach Kyle Linder and Assistant Coach Skyla Ausel, and has three managers. The JV team also had 13 athletes. They were coached by Solomon Wright. The freshman team had fewer players, with 12, and is coached by Amy Spring.

“Coach Spring knows our limits, when we’re tired, and if we’re in a mood, it’s nice.” freshman Carly Chiat said. “Our best player on the freshman team would have to be Allison Carolan.”

Overall, the players had nothing but positive words to describe their coaches.

“Coach Wright is really supportive and optimistic.” Dang said.

Over the course of this season, which went on until Feb. 9, each team had 21 games and played against 13 teams, ending the regular season with a Battle of the Burn match as their last game.

Their competitors include John Champe, Broad Run, Freedom, Potomac Falls, Briar Woods, Tuscarora, Rock Ridge, Battlefield, Woodgrove, West Springfield, Forest Park, Park View, and Riverside.

“Our biggest rivals would have to be Broad Run, Briar Woods, and Potomac Falls” Dang said.

The Home games took place on Nov. 18 and 28, Dec. 5, 14, 12, and 20, Jan. 5, 9, 16, 18, 19, and 26, as well as Feb. 6. Their games are later in the evening, with most of the games starting at 7:15pm.

“I’m really looking forward to improving my skills.” Dang said.

The Lady Bulldogs also had advantage of having the help of veteran players and former seniors Emma Harwood and Holly Cravens during practices. Both girls were formerly on the varsity team in the 2016-2017 school year. Harwood and Cravens stopped by periodically to provide support and advice to the current players on the teams.

“I hope to score at least 20 points.” Chiat said. “I’m looking forward to bus rides with teammates and meeting new people.”

They are prepared to do their best, and Head Varsity Coach Kyle Linder tweeted that he was “Incredibly proud of how tough our girls have been so far. This team is gonna do big things.”

On Feb 20, the girls fell short of a win to Falls Church to finish off their season.