Mamma Mia!

Mamma+Mia%21

Written by British playwright Catherine Johnson, Mamma Mia! became an instant classic within the musical theater world, following its premiere on the West End in 1999. Its inclusion of songs from Swedish pop group ABBA allowed for its instant success. It went on to become a movie in 2008 starring Meryl Streep and Amanda Seyfried.

The story follows Donna, a hotelier in the Greek Islands who prepares for her daughter’s wedding with the help of her two best friends, and Sophie, the  bride-to-be who secretly invites three men from her mother’s past to her “big white wedding” in order to determine who her real father is. 

In the Running Dog’s production, the role of Donna is played by the incomparable Lydia Rouse, whose performance manages to encapsulate the rebellious nature of the main character’s younger self while also showcasing a jaded exterior that motherhood has brought her. Rouse’s range of emotion, so elegantly laced with nostalgia, cradles her story of independence in a way that challenges gender roles for an unmarried woman in the 1970s.

Rouse’s abilities as a vocalist shine through in “The Winner Takes it All,” where the pit orchestra crescendos naturally with the emotional pandemonium of the characters. The pit orchestra never skipped a beat throughout the production by mastering both the enthusiasm of big ensemble numbers and the intimacy of smaller songs.

The whimsical nature of this production would not be possible without the excitement brought to the stage by the talented Lila LeCount in the role of Sophie. In the song, “Lay All Your Love on Me,” LeCount displays an eagerness and energy mirrored by the ensemble. The thrilling choreography by choreographers Aakrithi Karthik, Abby White, and Lydia Rouse allows for upbeat and exciting dances, creating a swift-footed, kind-hearted production. 

Naturally, the leads carry the numbers from the musical forward; however, the background vocals are what allow for the songs to be so impressive. Harmonies reach the audience like fireflies: delicate and breathtaking, thanks to sound crew technicians Kennedy Gilbert and Graham Reynolds’ skillful choice to use a backstage booth that transports ABBA’s iconic multi-layered sound from the ensemble to the mainstage.

The set anchors the production in a panoramic view of Donna’s Taverna in the Greek Isles through its deeply textured bedrooms and arches studded with all manner of astonishing details, including a functional clothesline. Construction crew heads Eamon Dunne and Christian Mahmud pulled out all the stops with their inclusion of a life-size dock jutting out from the stage to make the set feel truly immersive. 

“Friday night and the lights are low, looking out for a place to go?” Running Dog’s production of “Mamma Mia!” will make every audience member want to get up on their feet and disco with Donna and the Dynamos.

Tonya and Rosie, Donna’s two closest friends, are played by Emma Kleinhans and Stephanie Long respectively. The actresses provide the production with some much-needed comedic relief through their enthralling dialogue and heartwarming compassion. Kleinhans is particularly funny, keeping all of the characters on their toes with her tongue-in-cheek disposition. In contrast, Long is a powerful vocalist who compliments Kleinhans’ wit through her clever slapstick humor and endearing mannerisms. 

Performing opposite of the leading ladies are Sophie’s three possible dads: Paul Finamore as Bill, the “intrepid traveler” avoiding all remnants of responsibility, Ian Brown as Harry, the sophisticated British family man, and Ayden Brook as Sam, a confident and composed divorcee. The trio is a sort of Three Musketeers without the sword and fist-fighting and more of the family drama for the musical comedy aficionados. 

“Friday night and the lights are low, looking out for a place to go?” Running Dog’s production of “Mamma Mia!” will make every audience member want to get up on their feet and disco with Donna and the Dynamos. Come out to see their performances this afternoon at 2 p.m. for the understudy performance, or this evening at 7 p.m. for the final show!

About the Contributor
Bridget Lockett
Bridget Lockett, Staff Writer
Bridget Lockett is a sophomore. She loves writing for the Cappies critic team and is excited for her first year on the "Bulldog Tribune". Outside of writing, Bridget enjoys debate, playing saxophone and drums, and rowing on the crew team. Her favorite book is Anne of Green Gables.