Quinta Brunson Makes History at the 75th Emmy Awards

History was made once again by Emmy Award winner Quinta Brunson on Monday Jan.15. Brunson won an Emmy for her role in ‘Abbott Elementary,’ becoming the second African American woman to win Best Actress in a comedy series.

From the time the Emmys were first created in 1949, they have always been a predominantly White and male-centered award. It was only in 1961 when actor Henry Belafonte won, since then only about 50 Black actors, directors, and producers have won. As the second Black female winner in the 75 year history, Brunson shares the honor with only Isabel Sanford, who won in 1981.

“This is beyond the talent; this is beyond the television; this is beyond the big screen,”  Tichina Arnold said to the Associated Press in a red carpet interview with Quinta Brunson and Tisha Campbell. “We are doing a service and we are healing.” 

Having black actresses such as Brunson win these big awards opens the door for a whole new level of representation within comedy. Representation does not only show the diversity of the human experience, but it also creates a well-rounded generation of children who see themselves portrayed in the media they consume and the celebrities they see.

“That’s what the importance of women like this is,” Brunson said about Campbell and Arnold to the Associated Press. “They’re playing in my home constantly, still to this day. I can’t give these two women enough credit. I don’t even know what to say. I didn’t even know it was representation at the time, and that’s what it was.”

The battle for representation has been slow and uphill, with many bumps along the way. The fact that there was a 40 year gap between Black winners is proof. However, compared to 25 years ago, the type of representation that exists today would stun the world, creating the need for constant one upping from the year before. 

Nowadays, the amount of representation in the media has taken the spotlight. And while representation is important, it does not take away from the fact that Brunson won her Emmy award based on talent, hard work, and a passion for her show.

“I love making ‘Abbott Elementary’ so much and I am so happy to be able to live my dream and act out comedy,” Brunson said in her acceptance speech. “And I say it every time, but I just love comedy so much that I am so happy to be able to get this.”

I love making ‘Abbott Elementary’ so much and I am so happy to be able to live my dream and act out comedy.

— Quinta Brunson

The night was an overall success for Brunson and the Black community. Brunson has forged a path that will help more young Black actresses, actors, and comedians create representation of their own. History was made and a great actress was recognized for her talent and hard work. 

“I’m still processing, I am still processing,” said Brunson in an interview with Gold Derby. “I’m just very grateful, I’m really grateful.”

About the Contributor
Emma O'Hair
Emma O'Hair, Staff Writer
Emma O’Hair is a sophomore and a first time member of the "Bulldog Tribune". She plays the trumpet for the school band and volleyball for the high school team. In her free time she enjoys listening to Taylor Swift, reading the Six of Crows book series, and talking with friends.