D.C. Marches for Life

OSV News photo/Jonathan Ernst, Reuters

On Jan. 19, thousands of pro-life advocates took to the snowy streets of D.C. in order to gather for the 51st annual national March for Life rally. Walking from the National Mall to the steps of Capitol Hill, the attendees gathered both in protest against abortion and to celebrate life at every natural stage. 

In June, 2022, Roe v. Wade, which declared a nationwide, constitutional right to abortion, was overturned in the Supreme Court’s ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization. Now, the issue of abortion has been left up to the states, with 14 states holding bans, 6 holding limits from 6-18 gestational weeks, and 29 allowing the procedure. While the Dobbs decision was a generational victory for anti-abortion advocates, this year’s March for Life rally called for more than a ban on abortion with the theme “With every woman and for every child.”

The goal of the national March for Life is to not only change laws at the state and federal level, but to change the culture to ultimately make abortion unthinkable,” the March For Life homepage states. “We envision a world where every life is celebrated, valued and protected.”

The national march events started on Jan. 17 with an expo featuring pro-life organizations, volunteer opportunities, and pro-life professionals. The actual march began on Friday afternoon. It commenced early in the evening and was followed by the Rose Dinner gala, where former NFL player Benjamin Watson gave the keynote address. 

““We have to be people that protect life in all [of] its vulnerabilities, not only in the womb but once that child gets out and starts growing up.”

— Benjamin Watson

“Roe is done, but the factors that drive women to seek abortions are ever apparent and ever increasing,” Watson said. 

Watson is referring to the vast array of reasons a woman may seek an abortion, such as financial insecurity, low-confidence in the foster-care system, the physical and emotional toll of pregnancy, and social pressure. Watson and many other marchers see that the key to eliminating abortion is not in just a ban, but in ensuring women feel supported and safe through pregnancy–especially an unplanned one. 

“We have to be people that protect life in all [of] its vulnerabilities, not only in the womb but once that child gets out and starts growing up,” Watson said. “When you think about being with the mother, it means not simply about telling her not to have an abortion, although that’s important. It’s what are the needs that she has?  Whatever it is, we can serve you beyond even the decision.”

The March for Life initiative has mimicked the issue of abortion moving from the federal level to the states has as well, promoting state marches in addition to the national one. In addition to the national march in DC, over a dozen state rallies are scheduled for 2024, including March for Life Virginia on Feb. 21. 

“By marching in state capitals across the country, we show our local leaders that we the people want protective, life-affirming laws for both the unborn and their mothers,” the March for Life website stated. “We’re bringing America back to life one state at a time.”

Jillian Wallner
Jillian Wallner, Section Editor
Jillian Wallner is a senior, a returning writer at the "Bulldog Tribune", and involved in multiple groups at Stone Bridge, including PEER and the cross country team. When she’s not hanging out with middle schoolers as a youth group leader she’s probably at the bookstore “just browsing”.