SAG-AFTRA Fights Back

Phil Roeder

Hollywood’s actors have entered the 10th week of the nationwide Screen Actor’s Guild and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) strike, halting productions as major studios refuse to meet the union’s requests for better working standards, protections, and practices for the entertainment industry. 

Despite the fact that new movies and TV shows will premiere this fall, the stars of these productions are on the picket lines. The strike, which began on July 14, is calling on major studios to create better working standards within the industry. SAG-AFTRA are attempting to bargain with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (AMPTP) to no avail.

“We are all going to be in jeopardy of being replaced by machines and big business, who cares more about Wall Street than you and your family,” President of SAG-AFTRA Fran Drescher said in a press conference. 

Since July, the union has been working to bring attention to major issues within the industry, including what they see as inequitable payment standards and procedures, calling on studios for reforms. 

“I don’t get a piece from Netflix on ‘Breaking Bad’ to be totally honest,” actor Aaron Paul said. “Shows live forever on these streamers…they have been getting away with not paying people just fair wage…and that’s just one of the things we’re fighting for.” 

SAG-AFTRA is requesting a new residual check system from AMPTP as well as revenue sharing. Residual checks are the payment forms that actors receive from a show being put onto streaming services or being rerun on cable television. AMPTP has declared the revenue sharing process “completely illogical.” AMPTP rejected the union’s proposal for revenue sharing, claiming that the companies that produce a program are not entitled to receiving revenue beyond a licensing fee. Many striking actors have taken to social media to show their low residual checks. Some barely reach a dollar, and some go into a negative balance. 

“Artificial intelligence poses an existential threat to creative professions, and all actors and performers deserve contract language that protects them from having their identity and talent exploited without consent and pay,” Drescher said in a July news conference. “If we don’t stand tall right now, we are all going to be in trouble, we are all going to be in jeopardy of being replaced by machines.”

SAG-AFTRA wants AMPTP to abide by a strict contract to inform and protect actors against the use of their likeness for AI productions. A large fear of SAG-AFTRA is that the use of AI will result in actor’s performances being used for digital replicas for which the actors will not be compensated.

If we don’t stand tall right now, we are all going to be in trouble, we are all going to be in jeopardy of being replaced by machines.

— Fran Drescher

“Producers…may apply for an Interim Agreement…if approved by SAG-AFTRA, the union offers an Interim Agreement, and the producer accepts it by returning a signed copy,” the SAG-AFTRA interim agreement states. “Once that process is complete, performers may render services on that specific production without being in violation of the strike order.” 

Currently, SAG-AFTRA is offering interim agreements to continue production and promotional appearances for upcoming projects. Some projects have signed interim agreements to continue production or promotion for upcoming films, allowing actors and filmmakers to promote films at the recent Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) and Venice Film Festival. Despite the possibility to continue production via interim agreements, many major studio projects and highly anticipated releases have halted

Many studios have chosen to delay the release of blockbusters in hopes that they can be released at a later date with better promotional opportunities, specifically promotional material with actors. However, many films will still be released throughout 2023 and into 2024. Films like Sofia Coppola’s “Priscilla” have signed an interim agreement, allowing Coppola and the film’s stars Cailee Spaeny and Jacob Elordi to appear at TIFF and Venice to promote their film. Other films that will premiere despite the strike include Ava DuVernay’s “Origin,” Taika Waititi’s “Next Goal Wins,” and “Foe” starring Saoirse Ronan and Paul Mescal. These are all set to have theatrical premieres before the end of the calendar year. 

“I don’t have a crystal ball,” Drescher said when asked about the future of the strike. “We have financially prepared ourselves for the next six months. And we’re really in it to win it.”

Maddie Willinger
Maddie Willinger, Staff Writer
Maddie Willinger is a senior, and a first year at the "Bulldog Tribune". She is an officer in Girl Up, EdRising, SBHS’s chapter of The Launch Project, and a Cappies Critic. Maddie loves to keep up with pop culture, and can be found reading Taylor Jenkins Reid books, watching new movies to log on her Letterboxd, or listening to Taylor Swift way too often.