DECA Strives to Give Every Kid a Chance to Play

Emily Robertson, Staff Writer

DECA has made efforts in bettering the community through using Battle of the Burn to fundraise money for Leveling the Playing Field

DECA officer Maggie Magarity and her team noticed a heavy sports culture at Stone Bridge, and chose LPF so students could connect with the goals of the charity.

LPF is an organization that donates used sports equipment to youth sports organizations, allowing them to save money on buying equipment. This allows the organizations to lower registration costs and provide transport for kids, so they can involve more youth.

Started by Max Levitt, an equipment manager for the Syracuse University football team, Levitt noticed used equipment being put to waste, and created LPF to direct the used equipment to underprivileged people who cannot afford it.

After six years of collecting sports equipment since 2011, LPF has donated 100,000 items, and allowed youth sports organizations to save over $2,00,000.

To help LPF, DECA has also set up boxes around the school for students to donate used sports equipment.

“You can also go and volunteer at their (LPF’s) warehouse and help sort the equipment. But, if you want to get involved in your community, find a cause you’re passionate about and find a way to support it,” Magarity recommends to people who want to help the community.

Some hardships Magarity and DECA has faced is less funds for spirit links, which was a main source of income, but the increase of the order of BOTB shirts makes up for it.

“I’ve learned that we are all part of something much bigger than ourselves. The least we can do is give back to a community that gives so much to us,” Magarity said, who also was involved in raising $6,000 for the Fisher House Foundation, and volunteering with Special Olympics volleyball.

The drive to collect used sports equipment for LPF has garnered 1,500 pieces of equipment, along with raising $10,000 from shirts and spirit links. The equipment was sent to a LPF warehouse in Chantilly, where it was sorted.

People can volunteer for LPF at their website, www.levelingtheplayingfield.org, where they can sign up, or find locations to drop off used sports equipment.