NHS Guidelines

Molly Mica, Editor-in-Chief

Election of new officers for this year’s National Honor Society has sparked questions among upperclassmen concerning application process, service hour requirements, changes for the new school year, and more.

Application Process

Before applying for membership, students must check the guidance bulletin board to see if they meet the academic requirements. Once they have done that, eligible students should complete the application and turn in a printed out copy to the guidance office no later than 4:00 pm on Friday, Sept. 22, 2017. Invitations will then be mailed to accepted applicants on Monday, Oct. 2, 2017. These students will be expected to attend the mandatory induction ceremony on Wednesday evening, Oct. 18, 2017 in the auditorium.

“When explaining the five pillars of NHS, they lit five candles to emphasize the importance of them. It was really inspiring,” senior presidential nominee Sydney Chiat said.

New Member Requirements

According to the NHS website, once inducted, members must submit the $25 dues to Room 510 with their name and student Id, maintain a minimum GPA of 3.5, and complete 36 community service hours.

“Try to look for day-long volunteering opportunities because for you can only have up to ten hours for one activity,” Chiat said.

Returning Member Requirements

Returning members, are encouraged to cast their vote for this year’s NHS officers and are also required to complete 48 service hours before the end of the school year.

“I’m so pumped for another year of volunteering and giving back to my community,” senior Mitchell Lough said.

Service Hour Restrictions

There are a few requirements regarding service hours as well. Members need to complete at least one NHS sponsored activity and can use no more than five hours from a Stone Bridge sponsored activity. Students can find their NHS-sponsored activity on the NHS website under the tab “Volunteer Opportunities.” It is also important to note that religious activities do not count towards service hours for NHS.

Helpful Reminders

Students can also use the NHS website to check their service hour status. On this page members are able to see which hours are pending (meaning they have been submitted but have not been reviewed yet), how many hours have been accepted, and how many hours need to be accomplished before the end of the semester. The due date for the first half of the required hours is Friday, Jan. 26, 2018. Second semester hours are due Friday, May 25, 2018.

Lastly, members are encouraged to join the NHS remind thread which sends notifications about upcoming due dates and volunteer opportunities.