Golston Takes Charge of SBHS Football

In May, when former NFL player Kedric Golston was first announced as the school’s next head football coach, a wave of optimism washed across the Ashburn community as parents, students, and local sports fans prepared for the newest chapter in Bulldog football. 

Having an eminent career in professional football with the Washington Commanders, Coach Golston brings a wealth of knowledge and a fresh perspective to the football team. Viewers are excited to see how his NFL experience will translate to his coaching of up-and-coming athletes. 

“Coaches have been a huge part of my life,” Coach Golston said. “Even as a high school student to a collegiate athlete, as well as an NFL player, I’ve always had a ton of respect, not only for coaches, but for teachers and administrators … To have this opportunity to be a part of the great history and tradition here at Stone Bridge is kind of a dream come true.”

In its previous 24 seasons competing in the Virginia Class 5 Potomac District, SBHS football has maintained a 23-season consecutive winning streak garnering 19 district titles, 16 regional championships, and three state championships. The program has become a testament to the impact of high school athletics and has gained a reputation as a football powerhouse. 

“This school and athletic department speaks for itself,” Coach Golston said. “It was a unique opportunity with Coach Thompson retiring. I believe in this administration as well as the athletic department that we can continue to have success and build on what Coach Thompson has started. I can’t say that I would have taken any high school football job.”

Following in the steps of Coach Mickey Thompson, the school’s beloved head football coach, is no easy task. Coach Thompson directed the program since the school’s opening in 2000 and led 24 remarkably successful seasons, leaving Golson with big shoes to fill. Coach Golston looks at the challenge with grace and respect. 

“I have a ton of respect for Coach Thompson, but I couldn’t be him if I wanted to be,” Golston said. “He ran a great program where his young men worked extremely hard, and went out there and laid it on the line every single Friday night.”

Coach Golston is accomplished in his own right. He was selected out of the University of Georgia in the 6th round of the 2006 NFL Draft. During his 11-year professional career as a defensive lineman on the Washington Commanders, he played in 142 games and made 224 tackles. Golson retired in 2016 to pursue coaching with a very straightforward philosophy:

“Success always has three parts to it,” Coach Golson said. “It has hard work, discipline, and accountability. Those are the things that whether you’re a successful coach, a successful student, or just successful in life that I think transfer over.”

To have this opportunity to be a part of the great history and tradition here at Stone Bridge is kind of a dream come true.

— Coach Kedric Golston

Coach Golston has already started implementing this mentality into the players of the 2025 varsity team these past two weeks during pre-season practices. All of this effort is in preparation for the first game of the season on Aug. 29 at 7:00 p.m. against James Madison High School in Vienna. Coach Golson urges the community to come out and support the team at their opening game

“We are all in our community,” Coach Golston said. “Whether you’re in band, whether you’re an athlete, whether you’re in the drama department, or whether you’re into art or photography, I think the one thing that brings us all together is that we’re Stone Bridge Bulldogs … We are all Bulldogs regardless of how we want to express our talents. We are all one.”

Bridget Lockett
Bridget Lockett, Staff Writer
Bridget Lockett is a sophomore. She loves writing for the Cappies critic team and is excited for her first year on the "Bulldog Tribune". Outside of writing, Bridget enjoys debate, playing saxophone and drums, and rowing on the crew team. Her favorite book is Anne of Green Gables.