Get To Know: Ms. Hailey Corpe, English

An alumnus from the class of 2015 has rejoined the Stone Bridge learning community this year, but instead of being a student, she’s teaching them instead.

Ms. Hailey Corpe originally joined the Stone Bridge staff in 2020 as a JV girls soccer coach, though her team’s season was sadly cut short due to COVID. A year later, she joined the volleyball program as the head coach of the freshman team. 

Originally, when asked if she wanted to become a teacher, Ms. Corpe would respond with “absolutely not”. In fact, her plan to major in English was driven by her love for literature.

“I realized after I graduated and COVID hit right after that [I] didn’t know what I was doing at home reading,” Ms. Corpe said. “[Then,] I started coaching and building those relationships that, even in the short amount of time before COVID hit, made me realize I could be a high school teacher and really enjoy it.”

Ms. Corpe went back to school to get her master’s degree in teaching in fall of 2020. She continued to coach while studying, making Stone Bridge the best location to complete her student teaching requirements.

“I knew so many students already, and I felt like it would be nice to have familiar faces around,” Ms. Corpe said.

During Ms. Corpe’s time as a student teacher for Mr. Kevin Winsheimer, she admired the teamwork and relationships made within the English department, which ultimately prompted her to apply for a new position as a 10th and 11th grade English teacher at the school

I knew so many students already, and I felt like it would be nice to have familiar faces around.

— Ms. Corpe

“Something I’ve struggled more with as a teacher is figuring out how to be fair and not let my emotions interfere,” Ms. Corpe said.

While Ms. Corpe was a student, she was unaware of how much her teachers cared for their students. Now that she has been in both shoes, Ms. Corpe is able to create a classroom environment with a deeper level of understanding and with loads of great advice.

“Use your teacher for help,” Ms. Corpe said. “In the English department we’re all super willing to provide help outside of the classroom.”

Emma Goodfriend
Emma Goodfriend, Staff Writer
Emma Goodfriend is a junior and a returning member of the "Bulldog Tribune". She has played soccer for 11 years, two of which were for Stone Bridge. Emma enjoys listening to music, especially artists like Alex G, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and Brent Faiyaz.