How SBHS Clubs are Planning on Overcoming COVID Related Setbacks

Nusaiba Mahmud, Editor-in-Chief

First few weeks into school, and students and teachers are all working together to overcome the challenges presented by the pandemic. One hundred percent distance learning has brought many setbacks to this academic year, but one very important one is how clubs were going to operate.

Many clubs like Educators Rising have traditionally required in-person contact in order to function properly. Others, such as the multiple National Honor Societies, have required specific volunteer hours each semester.

“I believe that only being able to meet virtually is challenging for groups,” club coordinator Adrianna Rice said,  “I imagine groups that normally have hands on activities, performances, food events or participating in volunteer opportunities really miss being able to get together to accomplish these activities.” 

With virtual classes being hosted, the school has decided that fundraisers, one of the main ways that clubs raise money, has been put on hold

“Many of the activities a club participates in such as fundraisers, or in the case of Educators Rising, Parents Night Out,  tutoring in the classroom and conferences cannot be scheduled in the current environment. So we have to get creative,” Educators Rising sponsor Barbara Hochstein said.

In order to prevent club members from becoming bored at home without nothing to do, club officers and members are focusing their energy on creative ways to provide students with fun online activities to make up for the lack of in-person meetings.

Educators Rising is partnering with LCPS HRTD (Human Resources and Talent Development) to offer monthly workshops which we typically offered at the LCPS regional conference,” Ms. Hochstein said, “ The workshops are interactive and will be offered on a variety of topics such as classroom management, What does a special education teacher do?; Coaching and teaching, etc.  A different topic or more will be featured each month.  We are still working out the details, but I am excited to offer these workshops to our Educators Rising members.”

Clubs like DECA and FBLA are known for their famous projects such as the Toy Drive and Candy Grams. With these main activities on hold, these clubs are placing their attention on preparing for competitions.

“Biggest thing we are looking forward to is being able to hold our competitions,” DECA sponsor Wes Anderson said, “ The competitive side of DECA really gives our members a chance to showcase what they know and what they’ve been working on, while also practicing and preparing for the future.”

On top of workshops and competitions, a few clubs are also planning more engaging meetings where students will learn more about life and career  skills through guest speakers.

FBLA has a number of “team” competitive events.  Working on these can give students a chance to engage on a topic of interest and spend time with friends,” FBLA sponsor Carolyn Stevens said.“ I’m also hoping we’ll have some great speakers this year!”

Despite the many new changes in this unconventional school year, teachers and students are trying their best to help each other succeed in all ways from academic to extracurriculars. 

“I think being able to connect with your peers in a setting different from their classroom, is something to look forward to,” Ms. Rice said, “I know students are hoping we get back into the building soon.  Not being able to meet in person is a challenge, but I think clubs can rise to the challenge of finding unique ways to still make a difference in the community.”