All the Single Ladies: How to Survive Valentine’s Day

Kate Harwood, Features Editor

To my hopeless romantics, cynical singles, and girls wondering why they don’t have a boyfriend on Valentine’s Day…

IT IS OKAY! Everything is going to be alright. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being single in high school. Statistics show that less than 2% of all marriages are actually to a high school sweetheart. I know how frustrating the media and everyone hypes up the holiday and rubs it in your face how they are dating someone and you are not. Valentine’s Day can be frustrating with all the ads and social media posts making you feel less than without a man.

Put those worries aside and read the tips below for surviving this holiday.

Tip One

Surround yourself with loved ones and those who appreciate you

Spend time with your family and friends who know your worth and love you for who you are! Grab a sweet treat or a delicious dinner with them to enjoy the day. Trust me, this is probably the most useful and benefitting advice to spend Valentine’s Day. Spending time with loved ones helps put healthy and happy relationships back into perspective. Some fun ways to spend your day are to hang out with friends, go shopping, treat yourself to a spa day, or have movie night with your family. Focus your day on the positive, loving relationships that are already established.

Tip Two

Don’t go on a first date, blind date or reconnect with an Ex just because it is Valentine’s Day

My mother once gave me very useful advice: it is better to be happy and single, than with the wrong person. Don’t let the media and the hype make you feel like you need whatever guy is available to make this day special. Do not define yourself by your relationship status. Your relationship status is not your identity. Don’t settle or let your standards drop just so you can have bragging rights that you spent Valentine’s Day with some guy. Read Tip One again and let that sink in.

Tip Three

Splurge on yourself!

You deserve it! Treat yourself to chocolate or any sweet treats! Enjoy the discount prices on your favorite candy. You save so much money not buying gifts for someone else. Treat yourself to a spa day and buy the new lotion or face mask you’ve always wanted to try. Shop til’ you drop, go to the mall and buy whatever outfits that make you feel beautiful!  Do whatever makes you happy. Focus this day on self-love and finding happiness in being you.

Tip Four

Don’t be ashamed of your single status or feel sorry for yourself

You are wasting precious time that you could spend on more fun and practical activities than feeling sorry for yourself. Trust me, that is one of my biggest regrets, it wasn’t healthy to my mindset. Don’t be ashamed of being single in high school either, this is the time to discover who you are and to discover the path for your life and not someone else’s. Lots of people are single in high school, you aren’t alone. Don’t let anyone make you feel inferior just because you are single. If you start to feel sorry for yourself, refocus your actions on positive behaviors and count your blessings.

Tip Five

Celebrate you and get optimistic for the future

On actual Valentine’s Day and the following weekend, turn off social media and focus on you and your friends and other fun activities you can plan. Take time be thankful for the ones that got away and be hopeful in realizing that you are free to find someone else better suited for you. Start to become optimistic about the future and all that you have planned. If you are looking for a potential relationship, make a list of what you are looking for in an significant other. Rejoice in knowing that you have the power to choose whatever you want and you aren’t tied down from pursuing it.

I hope these tips help to make your Valentine’s Day happy and hopeful instead of gloom and doom. Make the most of your friendships in high school, but remember in the end the only person you need to please is yourself. May your Valentine’s Day be filled with good discount deals, great chocolate, and even greater company.

Love,

Kate