Equal Rights Club Reaches Out

Jordyn Fantasia, News Editor

New Addition

Among the abundance of clubs at Stone Bridge, there’s always new ones joining the list. The Equal Rights Association, which started up in February of last school year, is beginning its first full year as a club at school.

Started by seniors Joan Flaherty and Charlotte Kerr, the club was initiated to give students whose opinions may not fit into the existing clubs, a place to talk and share opinions.

“We felt like there was a decent amount of more conservative clubs at Stone Bridge, but there was no place for the other people’s ideas to come together and openly discuss,” Flaherty said. “ERA is a place where students can discuss current events and topics they’re passionate about in a safe space.”

Motivated Members

Students in ERA, like senior Katie Bushman, are proud to be part of the club, and want to make a change.

“With everything happening in the world right now, it’s easy to feel helpless, but ERA offers a space where students have the opportunity to make a difference,” Bushman said.

Reaching Out

During meetings, the club talks about current events as well as working on or planning projects or activities they’ll be participating in.

The club leaders are aiming to do one activism activity per quarter. Some would include bake sales for organizations such as The Trevor Project, or a letter writing campaign to Virginia’s state representatives; things that allow students to do what they can to enact positive change, and let their voices be heard.

“We are planning to fundraise for various causes this year and raise awareness about causes related to equal rights, such as immigrant rights, women’s rights, LGBT rights, and more,” club sponsor Mrs. Hayes said.

Newcomers Invited

Equal Rights Association meets every Friday before school at 8:30 a.m. in room 409, and is always welcoming new members.