Paris Fashion Week Re-Cap

Paris Fashion Week Re-Cap

Paris Fashion Week has once again captivated the world with its fascinating designs during one of the most prestigious events in the fashion industry. The semi-annual event took place between Feb. 26 and March 5, showcasing womenswear for fall and winter collections from multiple luxury brands and designers.

The international event is held by the Fédération de la Haute Couture et de la Mode at Paris. The organization’s mission is to uphold the legacy of Paris being the fashion capital of the world through events such as Paris Fashion Week and Haute Couture Week. 

Part of Haute Couture’s prestige comes from the extravagant nature of their shows. With bold statements and unique designs, the displays remind the world that fashion in itself is an art. Some of these notable designs come from big brands such as Vivienne Westwood, Chanel, Off-White, and Mugler. 

The Vivienne Westwood showcase was held by Andreas Kronthaler, Vivenne Westwood’s husband and designer for the display. The collection was said to pull inspiration from renaissance styles and retro sportswear, also making internet headlines through a cameo from musician Sam Smith, who, though now garnering some mixed reactions from the audience, opened the show.

Chanel took a more structured approach to its designs, with each model shown wearing big colorful sun hats that contrasted large trench coats with business formal suits underneath. The brand’s creative director, Virginie Viard, penned the look to be a “love letter to Deauville,” as the beach-theme reflected the city’s coast-lines. The reason for this decision was because Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel opened her second boutique in Deauville in 1912.

The Off-White showcase, directed and designed by Ib Kamara, displayed bright neon colors with powerful feminine silhouettes along with softer menswear. The designer’s inspiration came from a trip to Japan, which he stated helped him realize the influence of African American culture in music and how fashion tropes have developed through artistic identity. Through this, Kamara laid the groundwork for the collection and created the runway to resemble a Ludo game board mounted on crystal dice. 

With bold statements and unique designs, the displays remind the world that fashion in itself is an art.

Lastly, Mugler caught public attention even before their debut at Fashion week due to Zendaya wearing a dress from their 1995 Couture Collection during the “Dune: Part Two” London Premiere in early February. Playing off of this anticipation, the brand presented at the show with three different acts. 

The first of the show was referenced by the brand’s 1980s collection; the designs were intended to show a supernatural proportion and most were inspired by gothic themes of the time-period. The second act polarized the first by pulling inspiration from Canadian painter Ambera Wellman showcasing colorful dresses, wrapped pieces, collared bodysuits, and overall more sheerness in the clothing. The show concluded with the third act, which used leather to make party-ready wear, cutting fabric into strips to structure the designs. 

With all of these designs in the fashion scene for fall and winter, the upcoming seasons can be predicted to be ones of bold statements, unconventional fabrics, and form-fitting silhouettes. 

About the Contributor
Hajer Romdhani
Hajer Romdhani, Staff Writer
Hajer Romdhani is currently a junior going into her first year with the "Bulldog Tribune". With an interest in pop culture and celebrity news, she spends her time listening to podcasts and music or watching various horror movies.