10 Years Later, 2014 is Back

Instagram%2F%2F%40kyliejenner
Instagram//@kyliejenner

From colorful camera filters to pastel colored hair, the 2014 Tumblr aesthetic has officially made its return to mainstream media. While the style has been steadily growing in popularity on TikTok, its return was solidified by celebrity Kylie Jenner. Social media lovers have looked up to the Kardashian family for years as trend setters, so when Kylie Jenner posted selfies on her Instagram with pastel pink hair, it was evident that this fashion comeback was more than a microtrend. 

The 2014 Tumblr aesthetic includes many different aspects of a person’s expression, mainly through clothes, music, and online posts. The style pays tribute to 90s grunge and indie sleaze but with a pop of glitter and pastel. In addition to fashion, there are certain artists and songs that were very popular around that time starting to regain fame, such as Lorde, Lana Del Rey, and  Major Lazer. In this era, Tumblr and Instagram feeds would consist of inspiration quotes, mustaches, Doc Martens with oil stains in the background, and more. 

The resurgence of this aesthetic started around summer of 2023 when the song “Tumblr Girls” by G-Eazy and the “2014” filter started trending on TikTok. After the 80s, 90s and early aughts made their respective comebacks, it was not a surprise that the 2010s made its return. 

Going back to an era where there wasn’t as much pressure and anxiety about what to post can be incredibly freeing.

The biggest factor that draws people to the aesthetic is pure nostalgia. For much of Generation Z, 2014 trends played a key role in their childhood. After COVID-19, it is understandable that people would want to reminisce about simpler times. Going back to an era where there wasn’t as much pressure and anxiety about what to post can be incredibly freeing. 

This craze has definitely outlasted some others but inevitably, like all recycled trends do, the fad will fade away. Maybe next time, the resurgence of “VSCO girls” will take over the Internet.

About the Contributor
Emma Goodfriend
Emma Goodfriend, Staff Writer
Emma Goodfriend is a junior and a returning member of the "Bulldog Tribune". She has played soccer for 11 years, two of which were for Stone Bridge. Emma enjoys listening to music, especially artists like Alex G, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and Brent Faiyaz.