A Year of Internet Fashion Trends

A Year of Internet Fashion Trends
James C Santiago

This past year, the mainstream fashion world saw upticks in an eclectic mix of cyclical and new trends that combined maximalist and minimalist styles. From cowgirl boots, “Scandi Style,” and bows everywhere, the trends of the year proved to be both memorable, timeless fads, and regrettable choices. 

Many of the year’s trends were not necessarily new, but recycled trends from the late ‘60s, mid-’70s, and late ‘90s. 

The resurgence of ‘70s styles can be traced back to the March release of “Daisy Jones and the Six,” a sensationalized story about the ‘70s rock scene. The show incorporates many beloved ‘70s styles, like crochet and bellbottoms, that then made their way into the summer’s fashion trends. 

Late ‘90s styles took center stage when many used notable Nora Ephron movies like “When Harry Met Sally” and “You’ve Got Mail” as their wardrobe inspiration, particularly in the fall. 

Made widespread by Matilda Djerf, a Swedish influencer, “Scandi Style” takes parts of ‘90s and Scandinavian fashion and combines them to create a low-effort, fashion forward look. Defined by neutral colors, business casual, and subtle pops of color, the style combines sportiness, maturity, and comfort. It is increasingly popular amongst fashion communities, and will likely continue its positive streak, due to Djerf’s high follower count and virality.

The growing rise of ‘60s styles, like capris, mod-style patterns, and miniskirts, could be linked to the release of Sofia Coppola’s “Priscilla,” which was filled to the brim with ‘60s-style everything. Coppola’s style of female-focused filmmaking has built up her fanbase to be primarily teen girls and young women–many of whom are heavily impactful in setting fashion trends. 

First appearing in 2021, “Blokecore” is named after the stereotypical style of British men, and was popular for fans of a sporty, androgynous look. Marked by Adidas apparel, like the Adidas Sambas, the “Blokecore” of 2023 incorporated feminine elements like flowy skirts or hair ribbons. Ultimately, the most recent version of the trend fizzled out quickly, as many were not fans of the combined looks. 

Of course, trends of the year cannot be discussed without mentioning the widespread trend of the cowboy boot

Cowboy boots aren’t new, of course, but their recent spike in popularity could potentially be tied back to the start of Taylor Swift’s “Eras Tour,” where many concert goers dressed for the eras, like Swift’s country origins. 

They carried over into the fashion girls’ “Miley Stewart Summers,” drawing inspiration from the “Hannah Montana: The Movie,” set in an idyllic rural Tennessee town filled with horseback riding and line dancing. Naturally, cowboy boots became a staple for those wishing to emulate this summer experience. 

The ballet flat has also come back in full swing, especially with the rise of “Balletcore.” “Balletcore” is composed of athleisure in dainty styles, legwarmers, soft pinks, and bows. A well received aesthetic, “Balletcore” established itself separate from the traditionally toxic diet culture and body image of the dance style. Demographics that have felt left out by ballet in the past felt they could participate in the trend’s cute styles, leaving it with a positive reception. 

Fans of accessories were in luck this year. From Carrie Bradshaw’s iconic rosettes to bows, fun accessories were plentiful. Cord necklaces also saw a spike with celebrities like Olivia Rodrigo making them a staple in their ‘90s inspired wardrobes. The rise in the popularity of the ‘90s Italian charm bracelet, as well as the recent increase in charm necklaces, may mean that charms on jewelry, bags (specifically the increasingly popular big bag), and everything in between will be only increasing in popularity into next year. 

Overall, the trends of 2023 were notable, but it’s important to note the impact social media has on the longevity of trends. With the rise of TikTok and other social media platforms, trends cycle out faster than ever before. 

When consuming online media, it’s important to remember the aggressive environmental effects of buying fast fashion to remain “on trend.” The average American will throw away 81.5 pounds of textile waste a year, contributing to a national average of 11.3 million tons of textile waste annually. The life cycle of fashion is never ending and everything always comes back into style. So don’t throw out those skinny jeans just yet, who knows when they’ll be back in style.

Maddie Willinger
Maddie Willinger, Staff Writer
Maddie Willinger is a senior, and a first year at the "Bulldog Tribune". She is an officer in Girl Up, EdRising, SBHS’s chapter of The Launch Project, and a Cappies Critic. Maddie loves to keep up with pop culture, and can be found reading Taylor Jenkins Reid books, watching new movies to log on her Letterboxd, or listening to Taylor Swift way too often.