New “Hunger Games” Takes Big Step Towards Inclusion

New Hunger Games Takes Big Step Towards Inclusion

Before “Divergent” and “The Maze Runner,” “The Hunger Games” was the beginning of a now-nostalgic era of dystopian fiction, and one of the most popular book-to-movie adaptations of the 2010s. Because the three books and four movie adaptations were not enough, fans of this beloved series welcomed one more addition 12 years after the publication of the first book. 

“The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes,” a book revolving around the backstory of the infamous character, Coriolanus Snow, was originally published in 2020 and finally made it to the big screen this November. Not only was this movie as impressive as, if not better than, its counterparts, it is most admirable for the film’s modern inclusion of an underrepresented demographic, the Down syndrome community. 

Sofia Sanchez, a young actress with Down syndrome was cast in “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” as the character Wovey, a tribute from District 8. Sanchez is a 14-year-old professional model, actress, and author who was born in Ukraine and adopted by a U.S. family as a baby.  Sanchez’s casting has helped increase the representation of individuals with Down syndrome in film and television. 

Every opportunity for the public to see individuals with Down syndrome, witness their capabilities, and understand the value they bring to their communities raises awareness and increases understanding.

— Sara Goldberg

“Including characters with Down syndrome models the inclusion we see–and hope to see more of–in our schools, workplaces, and communities,” Vice President of Strategic Development for the National Down Syndrome Society, Sara Goldberg said. “Sofia’s involvement in this film makes an important contribution to the progress we continue to see in expanding representation.” 

As viewers watch more individuals with Down syndrome and other disabilities star in movies, TV shows, and other media, the opportunities will only become more prevalent for these actors and introduce more characters with Down syndrome to the public and to more diverse storylines. 

“Every opportunity for the public to see individuals with Down syndrome, witness their capabilities, and understand the value they bring to their communities raises awareness and increases understanding,” Goldberg said. 

Other notable films like this year’s “Champions,” which included “The Hunger Games” star Woody Harrelson, and 2019’s “Peanut Butter Falcon,” which earned $23.2 million worldwide, are also positive signs of the trend. However, “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” is the most successful of these films, grossing $247.8 million worldwide in about a month, and an insightful, cinematic masterpiece that opens doors for future actors with Down syndrome.

“Inclusion and acceptance [of individuals with Down syndrome] increase as people without disabilities change their perceptions, and film and television are powerful ways to achieve that. Seeing individuals with Down syndrome acting can certainly help people also see them as valuable employees and coworkers.” Goldberg said. 

About the Contributor
Stephanie Long
Stephanie Long, Staff Writer
Stephanie Long grew up in Ashburn and has lived there her whole life. She enjoys reading, crocheting, and participating in theater productions. She has been on Stone Bridge's Cappies Critic team since her freshman year where she has had a review published by "Blue Ridge Leader". This is Stephanie’s first year on the Stone Bridge Tribune.