Countdown to Christmas

Evelyn Noronha, Editor-in-Chief

The countdown has begun. The annual Freeform special, “25 Days of Christmas” kicked off on Dec. 1.

Freeform, formerly known as ABC Family, presents back-to-back festive movies on the days leading up to Christmas.

“Overall, they’ve got the classics; the backbone of Christmas movies,” junior Dominic Fornatora said.

This year’s special started at 7:30 a.m. with “Eloise at Christmastime.” It will conclude with “Four Christmases” at 12 a.m. on Dec. 25.

“I love ‘Elf,’” junior Ashley Hand said. “That’s my favorite Christmas movie because it’s funny. I don’t really watch movies, but I like the Grinch too.”

The full schedule is on the Freeform app. Live streaming and free Christmas favorites are also available on the app.

“[My favorite is] probably ‘The Santa Claus,’” Fornatora said. “It’s just a classic. It has a good theme of Christmas and it has a good plot.”

Although the classics are fan favorites, new movies have replaced many of their time slots.

“I looked at the schedule, and it’s pretty lacking this year,” Fornatora said. “They’re showing ‘Frozen’; that’s not a Christmas movie.”

Freeform is one of the most popular networks during the holiday season, but other channels have their own specials this month as well.

“I watch the Hallmark movies, but I don’t really have a favorite,” Hand said. “They’re just all the same.”

The featured Freeform movies include “Disney’s a Christmas Carol,” “The Polar Express,” and “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.”

The “25 Days of Christmas” countdown has appeared to be a part of the holiday tradition.

“The movies, songs, and decorations all together, it’s a jolly feeling,” Fornatora said.

Countdown to Christmas