Seniors Say Goodbye to Stone Bridge Football

Jimmy Sanderson, Sports Editor

The Stone Bridge student body once again enjoyed a strong season from the football program, which has become a tradition since the school opened.

The Varsity football team dominated opponents throughout the regular season, ending with an undefeated regular season record for the seventh time in program history. Although the team lost a hard-fought battle against Tuscarora in the Region 5C championship, there are still plenty of reasons to be proud of their overall performance this season.

They were also the only high school in Division 5A who ended the regular season with no blemishes on their record. This year’s senior class played a part in securing two 5A North Region Championships in the past four years.

Seniors report that the hardest part of the season ending is being forced to say goodbye to the Stone Bridge football program. The toughest goodbyes were from those who have been a part of the program for all four years.

“Stone Bridge football is an experience that you will never find anywhere else,” senior Todd Ballinger, member of the football program since freshman year, said. “Playing for Coach Thompson and all the other coaches along with playing with the family I made over the years will be something I will never forget and something I am so grateful for.”

The feeling of the team being a family is not unique to Ballinger. A sense of brotherhood is common among the players, and the strong connection between them has pushed the program to the heights that it has reached.

“Stone Bridge football is not a football team,” senior Noah Crawford said. “It is a family.”

Now, it’s time for seniors who are interested in playing college football to decide where to play in the future. Among the seniors that currently have offers from colleges are Noah Crawford, Jack Kosko, Kellis Martin, Joseph Namath, and Daniel Thompson.

As national signing day approaches on Feb.7, 2018, the players have time to look over their offers and decide on where they will continue their football careers.