Boys Tennis Hopes to Reach States

Victor O'Neill

Victor O'Neill

Cameron Bender, Editor-in-Chief

Scrimmages, New Coach, and Senior Captains

The boys varsity tennis team kicked off its season in winning fashion with two scrimmage wins against Riverside and Rock Ridge.

The team has seen the return of many players from the previous year, and only two seniors departed. Seniors Brandon Venable and Brendan Soh were selected captains by the rest of the team

“I have been a captain since freshman year, so it is nice to know the guys still see me as a leader,” Soh said.

Last year, the tennis team advanced to the regional tournament until they were defeated by Thomas Jefferson High School. This year, the Bulldogs hope to avoid the same fate.

“After last year’s defeat we are a more experienced team,” Venable said. “We will advance further this year with that experience and the support of a coach who wants to win.”

However, this season is a new season, and with the new season comes a new coach. RJ Windows stepped in as the coach the Bulldogs after it looked like the team may start the season without a head coach.

Regular Season Matches

In the first outing with a new head coach of the tennis team, the Bulldogs faced the Phoenix of Rock Ridge in a scrimmage. The team won the match 8-1, only losing one singles match. After a rainout, the Bulldogs defeated the Rams of Riverside in their second scrimmage of the season. The team won in 9-0 fashion, not losing a single match (both singles and doubles competitions). These two results were encouraging, and might be beat downs that the team might dole out on a regular basis.

This season, the team will face many of the same opponents that they did last year (when they went a perfect 20-0). Some of their most challenging matches will come against Broad Run and Briar Woods, whom they will face twice each.

On a cloudy Friday afternoon, the Bulldogs took to their home court for their first match of the season. With a couple of spectators watching the matches, the Bulldogs swept the Raiders of Loudoun County 9-0. In their second match of the season, the Bulldogs travelled to Loudoun Valley to face the Vikings on a cloudy, windy day. Once again, the Bulldogs rolled by a score of 9-0.

The team made quick work of their next four opponents, taking each of them down by sweeps of 9-0. The team took down Heritage, Marshall, Woodgrove, and Potomac Falls during that stretch. Conference play would resume in the coming week.

In their next two games, the Bulldogs would face the Spartans of Broad Run and the Falcons of Briar Woods. The Bulldogs would keep up their streak of 9-0 wins after defeating both the Spartans and Falcons. The boys would then go onto defeat the Tuscarora’s squad by a score of 9-0. On senior night, the team would face off against Potomac Falls for the second time. The team won their tenth straight match with another 9-0 win.

The Bulldogs lost their streak of 9-0 victories in their second match against the Spartans of Broad Run. However, they still won the match by a score line of 6-3. After that victory, the Bulldogs still won 9-0 against the Huskies of Tuscarora despite injuries to two starters.

The team has gotten off to a promising 13-0 start. Another undefeated season could be on the horizon and the team hopes to advance further than the regional semifinals.

“Our motivation is to win states,” Soh said. “We won’t settle for anything less. We have the talent and determination to make a run this year.”

Boys Tennis Hopes to Reach States