Scheele Insights Inspiration in Students

Kate Harwood, Features Editor

Kyle Scheele, an inspirational speaker to high schoolers, came to Stone Bridge on Dec. 11 to speak to the student body.

Mr. Scheele is from Springfield, Missouri and started speaking in front of large crowds in high school as his Student Body President. Years later, he took the risk and made his motivational speaking into a full-time career.

What do look forward to most when speaking to high schools?
“I love speaking to high school students in a big setting like an assembly, but my favorite part is when I get to connect with students afterwards to answer questions, take pictures, or just say hello. I love getting to know individual students, hearing their stories, and helping them with whatever I can.”

What is your main message that you present to students?
“The message I present to students is that it only takes one person to make a difference in the world. Oftentimes we’re so focused on seemingly “big” things like who will be homecoming king, what the theme of prom will be, or whether or not our team is going to make the semifinals. But those things ultimately pass very quickly. What people remember fifty years later are the little things, like a kind word or a helping hand.”

What do you hope students get out of your speech?
“I hope students walk away with a sense of empowerment, knowing that they can make a lasting impact through simple acts of kindness, and I hope they walk away with ideas for how they can get started doing so immediately.”

What originally motivated you to start public speaking professionally?
“It’s kinda funny that I became a motivational speaker, because I wasn’t really a big fan of the speakers I saw when I was in high school. They would mostly talk about all the things NOT to do (“Don’t do drugs. Don’t drink and drive. Don’t be a bully.”) but I was already not doing any of those things, so it felt like a waste of time. I wanted to know what TO do, not what NOT to do. So when I became a speaker, I decided to talk about that. Instead of telling people what not to do, I wanted to tell them how to use their lives to make an impact on others. In a sense, I guess what motivated me is a desire to tell people the things that I wish someone would have told me.”

What is your favorite part in public speaking?
“I love taking people on a journey through a speech. I love that I can make people laugh, then transition into a story that might be sad or meaningful, or even make them cry… then get them to laugh again… all in one speech; that’s exhilarating.”

What is your main goal in delivering your speeches to students?
“My main goal in delivering speeches to students is to be a source of hope. High school is hard, and I want people to know that the things they’re facing won’t last forever. I want them to know that they’ll make it through if they stay strong. And I want them to see that we’re all better off when we help one another.

Mr. Scheele told humorous stories from his childhood about his friend Zach who showed him that one person can make a difference, a trust hike at his childhood summer camp, and the glow in the dark stars in his bedroom that made him believe he is really outdoors. Kyle Scheele showed us that one person can make a difference and that you have the power to implement kindness in our school.

I heard Mr. Scheele speak back in April at the VHSL Leadership Conference. He motivated the students by telling personal stories from his childhood and allowed for him to effectively communicate his message to the students. Just like at VHSL, Mr. Scheele motivated the students of Stone Bridge to improve their community by working together.”