Journalism Visits “The Lone Star State”

Journalism students and chaperons on the convention trip, tour the city of Dallas including the art district.

Molly Mica, Editor-in-Chief

Life-size cattle statues, buildings lighting up, rooftop pools, and an assassination location, these are just a taste of what yearbook and newspaper students were treated to during their recent trip to Dallas, Texas.

The yearbook and newspaper students met their two chaperones, journalism teacher Jo Ellen Sholl and Mrs. Kathy Thompson, Nov. 15 at 9:00 a.m. in the Wiehle–Reston East metro station to begin their day of traveling. They took the metro to Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport and flew to Columbus, Ohio before arriving in the Lone Star State later that afternoon.

The group of nine students and two chaperones stayed in the Omni Hotel for the three nights they were there, and in their off time enjoyed the rooftop pool overlooking the lit up city of Dallas, state-of-the-art gym with floor to ceiling windows, and relaxing by the firepit with coffee and snacks.

The majority of the time, however, was consumed by sightseeing and journalism classes.

Sightseeing included the life-size bronze memorial to the cattle drive in Pioneer Plaza, complete with three cowboys and 49 longhorns. The statues are the largest bronze statues of their kind in the world and were designed by local Robert Summers. The group also went to Dealey Plaza, where President John F. Kennedy was shot and Bank of America Plaza, the tallest skyscraper in Dallas.

Most of the meals the group enjoyed were at famous Texas restaurants such as Dickey’s Barbeque Pit, which serves traditional Texan barbeque, and El Fenix which offers traditional Tex-Mex cuisine.

In terms of journalism, students were able to select the classes they thought would best relate to their interests in the publication classes. Such choices included classes on caption-writing, photography skills, journalism ethics, interviewing skills, and social media usage.

At the end of the convention, the nine students were required to participate in the “write-off” competition. They were assigned a genre of writing and had two hours dedicated to creating the best product they could. Their work, along with the work of, was judged by qualified journalists, and a select few were awarded “Superior,” “Excellent,” and “Honorable Mention.”

Junior Emma Logue earned “Honorable Mention” in the Yearbook Copy and Captions- Sports category, and senior Molly Mica earned an excellent in Editorial writing. Logue and Mica were the only Virginia students to place in the write-off.

Journalism Visits “The Lone Star State”