Helping those in Need for Holidays: DECA Toy Drive

Allison Culko, Staff Writer

Since Stone Bridge has opened, DECA has been putting together a toy drive. This year’s drive, which took place Nov. 8 through Dec. 8, was the 18th Annual Drive.

From the beginning of November, students were able to participate by taking an ornament from one of two holiday which were outside the main office.

Participants were asked to buy new unwrapped gifts that met what was on the ornament. The child’s gender, age, and what he or she wanted was printed on each ornament.  If the participant returned the ornament with the toy and their name on it, they would be entered in a raffle to win four tickets to The Nutcracker.

Last year the toy drive collected 436 toys, and organizers hope to collect 400 this year.

“We are benefitting two feeder schools and that is around the number we need to sufficiently help all the children,” project head Emma Guido said.

The toys donated will help over 200 kids from Cedar Lane Elementary School and Belmont Station Elementary School, who are on the free and reduced lunch program.

Along with the students of the elementary schools, their siblings will also receive donated toys.

“We give the donated to toys to the economically disadvantaged families [from the two elementary schools],” DECA advisor Wes Anderson said.

Toys used to be donated to Sterling Elementary, but last year, the 2016 toy drive assisted just the needy families of Cedar Lane.

“Last year we started giving the toys to our feeder schools to help our direct community and future Bulldogs,” Guido said. “Most people don’t realize that children in Ashburn are struggling.”

“The toys are for the holidays, not specifically Christmas,” Mr. Anderson said.

On Dec. 15 the toys will be brought to the elementary schools for the families to pick up.

“All the toys are wrapped individually for each child,” Guido said.