Students in DECA travel to Anaheim, CA

Monika Guerrero

Monika Guerrero

Evelyn Noronha, News Editor

The International Career Development Conference (ICDC) hosted nineteen thousand DECA students. From Stone Bridge, 33 qualifying students traveled to Anaheim, California to compete from April 25 to April 30. 

Qualifying Projects 

“You had to create a project and then you went and competed,” junior Kayley Skorupski said. “You had to memorize your presentation and had to get top eight out of 20 or 30 groups. If you got top eight then you went to Anaheim.” 

A total of 34 Stone Bridge students qualified, but one senior was unable to make it. 

“They had to re-compete so they had to do their presentations and turn in their paper,” DECA sponsor Monika Guerrero said. “They went to a mini award session and then a grand awards.” 

There were a variety of topics that students could have explored for their presentations. 

“I did international business and we had to take a company that’s only in the United States, and we had to find a place overseas to buy it,” Skorupski said. 

Students not only participated in the competition, but several of them came back with an award in hand. 

“Isabella Grado, Olivia Walters, and Emma Guido, all placed third, which is a huge deal, in public relations for their toy drive project,” Ms. Guerrero said. “Katie O’Day, Maria Liberi, and Bethany Frady placed top ten for school based enterprise, which is the school store.” 

The DECA projects also serves to benefit the community. An example is the Toy Drive that DECA has sponsored for the last three years. 

“This year we gave all the toys that we collected to Cedar Lane Elementary School because that’s a feeder school,” senior Olivia Walters said. 

Some awards that were received ended up being record-breaking accomplishments for the school. 

“Winning third has only been done in school history once before, so we’re the second people to do it,” senior Isabella Grado said. 

Entertainment 

The students enjoyed some down-time in the warm weather. They spent two days at Disneyland, and one day at Universal Studios. The group also made time for Downtown Disney and relaxing at the pool. 

“They went to an opening session where there was a fashion show and a performance from one of the competitors from the Voice,” Ms. Guerrero said. “Echosmith was the other musical guest.” 

Atlanta, Georgia will be the destination for next year’s international competition. Disney, Orlando, and Anaheim have proven to be popular spots for worlds to be held. 

“The most enjoyable part was placing top ten and going to Universal,” senior Kathleen O’Day said. 

Students in DECA travel to Anaheim, CA