New assembly helps students reflect on Black History

Juliana Ciavarro, Sports Editor

Every year as February begins, schools everywhere reflect on the history of African Americans.

The tradition of black history being celebrated in February started Black History Month, or National African American History Month, is an annual celebration of achievements by black Americans and a time for recognizing the central role of African Americans in U.S. history.

The event grew out of “Negro History Week,” the brainchild of noted historian Carter G. Woodson and other prominent African Americans. Since 1976, every U.S. president has officially designated the month of February as Black History Month.

At Stone Bridge, an assembly filled with music, education, and fun is presented in the auditorium to help appreciate black history and educate students.

The assembly, along with daily morning quotes from iconic African American figures, aims to continue the importance of Black History month.

The Black Student Association, run by Mr. Elmo Green, are the directors behind the quotes and the assembly that was held on Feb 22.

“The assembly’s purpose is to get students involved and inform everyone of how important this month truly is,” Mr. Green said.

This year’s assembly differs from the ones that have been held in the past.

“We have two African Americans will be speaking, they witnessed Civil Rights in this area. They are excited to share their stories and educate young minds,” Green said.

Mr. Green, along with the Black Student Association. Meet sporadically throughout the year whenever there is a need for anything related to African American culture.

“Being in this club helps me stay connected to everyone else who shares my culture and beliefs. It is a fun way to bring black history to all of Stone Bridge,” member of Black History Association, Simone Lacewell said.

During the assembly, two speakers shared their stories of how Civil Rights affected them in its own way.

“It was a big success in my opinion, I really think we got the point across and accomplished what we wanted to. Could not be more excited of the outcome,” Green said.

Mr. Green along with the rest of the Black History Association hope to make this educational program annual from here on out and strive to encourage everyone to celebrate this historic month.