Did the League Do Justice?

Brennah Lee, Opinions Editor

As the first live action adaptation of the well-known superhero group, “Justice League” disappointed with a dull villain and repetitive plot. However, the spectacular acting, witty humor, and brilliant soundtrack made the movie worth the buck. It is versatile and it has enough aspects of the familiar League to placate an eager fan or a comic newbie, giving it a wide audience range.

The movie takes place as a direct sequel to “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice” (2016) and “Wonder Woman” (2017), and follows the aftermath of Superman’s death. With the world feeling down on its luck and criminals and ancient entities taking advantage of the chaos, Batman/Bruce Wayne (Ben Affleck) and Wonder Woman/Diana Prince (Gal Gadot) must band together with some lesser-known heroes in order to prevent the annihilation of the world by Steppenwolf (Ciaran Hinds), a servant of Darkseid.

Having watched many of the animated versions of the League and many of the solo spin-offs that DC Comics has produced, the movie seemed a little mundane in comparison to its counterparts. The villain, Steppenwolf, was a little bit of a predictable villain, and his character left much to be desired. His lack of backstory and purpose gave him a limited presence in the story.

The movie didn’t really stand out in terms of plot either, as it followed the stereotypical cycle of heroes overcoming teamwork issues to finally defeat the evil at the end. The movie seemed to serve more as a setup that would allow the company to produce more films in the franchise.

However, the returning actors, and even some new faces did a spectacular job in portraying the much beloved characters. Notably, Affleck, Gadot, and Cavill’s return as Superman, brought many of us back to our childhood days with their version of the famous trio. It was truly nostalgic to have the gang all together on the big screen. All of the cast seemed to really work well together, and it felt like the bonds were real.

The humor of the film was another plus that could really give an audience a good laugh.The Flash/Barry Allen (Ezra Miller) and Wayne’s butler Alfred (Jeremy Irons) specifically had some of the best one-liners I’ve seen, and it made a sharp turn from some of the darker content of DC’s previous movies, which was refreshing.

Another piece of the film that I really admired was the soundtrack and scores, which emphasized whatever was happening on-screen, providing for a nice chemistry and variety of music range. “Everybody Knows” by Sigrid and “Icky Thump” by The White Stripes were some of my personal favorites. Many of Danny Elfman’s compositions were enjoyable to listen to as well.

Overall, the movie worked, and I enjoyed watching it. I’d recommend seeing the movie with a rating of three out of five stars.  Though the villain was a disappointing piece of the film that seemed a little thrown-together, it can be overlooked due to the amazing acting, humor, and music the movie offers, which provides an overall pleasant experience.

Did the League Do Justice?