iPhone 7’s New Features

Apple CEO TIM COOK  discusses the iPhone 7 during an Apple media event on September 7, 2016 in San Francisco, Calif.  (Xinhua/Zuma Press/TNS)

Apple CEO TIM COOK discusses the iPhone 7 during an Apple media event on September 7, 2016 in San Francisco, Calif. (Xinhua/Zuma Press/TNS)

TNS

TNS

Jordyn Fantasia, Feature Editor

Apple’s tradition of releasing a new iPhone every year since 2007 continues, as the launch of their newest design is creating possibly more buzz than any iPhone in the past. Becoming available for purchase on Sept. 16, Apple’s iPhones 7 and 7 Plus is providing many new features, from appearance to functionality.

New Designs

While the iPhone 6’s new colors gave it variety, the 7 is bringing more, now coming in two more new finishes: matte black and glossy jet-black.

In addition to the surface of the new phones coming in different colors, they have also been designed to be safe from elements like spills, splashes, and dust.

This new phone design also comes with a new home button. The updated button is a solid-state model, which is touch and pressure sensitive, making it more durable and receptive.

Camera & display

Being one of the most popular cameras in the world, the iPhone’s photography abilities are continuously evolving.

The new camera capabilities, such as a six-element lens, image stabilization, and wide color capture, will make photos livelier than ever, and pictures taken in low light will be much clearer. The HD FaceTime camera is also new and improved, having 7 MP capability and wide color capture, for the pro selfie-takers.

Photos aren’t the only things getting better though. The new technology now offers a 12 MP camera for high-resolution videos up to 4K.

An exclusive feature to the 7 Plus is the fact that it has not just one camera, but two. It contains the 12 MP camera that’s on the regular iPhone 7, and it also has a second 12 MP telephoto camera, made for zooming to great lengths.

Innovative features

Being manufactured with a new A10 fusion chip, Apple guarantees the functions of their newest phones will be faster and more efficient than ever.

Alongside the new speedy capabilities, the iPhone 7 plus will have up to one more hour of battery life, and the iPhone 7 up to two, according to Apple’s website.

The iPhones also now have 3D touch, which will be more reactive, responding to subtle touches, and a new wide color gamut, giving these phones the brightest, most vivid colors.

Audio

Probably the most talked about feature of the new iPhone 7/7 Plus is the removal of the headphone jack, which has been a part of iPhones since the beginning. The new iPhones still come with headphones, but they must now be input through a lightning connector.

If you don’t want to deal with the cords required to use classic headphones, Apple has produced another option: Airpods. Airpods are a new product coming out in October, which are wireless ear buds. Airpods are compatible with all Apple devices, and will automatically connect. They have technology to sense when you’re listening or speaking, can be used with Siri, and are chargeable through the case they come in.

As for exterior audio, the iPhones have their first ever speakers, which provide two times the auditory output of the iPhone 6.

Given all of these new features, and also the fact that there’s even more where they came from, Apple promises that this will be the most improved, best iPhone yet; though that’s for the consumers to decide.

iPhone 7’s New Features