Varsity boys basketball wraps up season

Asheley Morris

Asheley Morris

Micah Banks, Editor-in-Chief

Stone Bridge basketball playoff run is over after the second round. The team lost to Albemarle 81-46. The team won its first two games this season by an average margin of 24 points but then slowed their pace losing seven of the last eight games and finished 11-16. Early season road struggles slowed the team down; their 1-7 away record called for improvement.

Bounce Back

The team never worried, they knew rough patches always happen. They bounced back and made a run to the conference tournament championship versus Potomac Falls, but lost 68-48. They then entered the actual playoff tournament but lost in the second round.

Junior Presence

The team is primarily made up of juniors, with only one senior, Dillion Carey, even on the roster. That doesn’t necessarily pose an issue according to Coach Stitzel.

“Experience isn’t everything, I look for players who can play and we have a lot of talented players this year,” Stitzel said.

Without a strong senior presence, it is up to a strong core of three junior guards, Ben Kling, James DiLuigi, and Evan Buckley. All three players have experience at the varsity level. So far this year the three have created an effective three-point barrage. The three combined for 127 made three point shots in the first 17 games.

“We just try to get open looks for whoever is feeling it that game. Sometimes it’s all three of us. Sometimes it’s just one guy,” junior Ben Kling said.

This is the least number of seniors Coach Stitzel has had on a high school team in his coaching career, but he is confident it will not be an issue.

JV

The junior varsity boys’ team was off to a 5-0 start, until losing a close game to Tuscarora. They finished the season 6-1

Varsity boys basketball wraps up season