Now is the time to embrace Washington Sports

Cameron Bender, Editor-in-Chief

Over the past ten years, the success of DC sports teams has been limited. The Redskins have been mediocre at best. The Nationals struggled to secure a record over 500 until around 2013. And the Wizards have been one of the worst teams in the Eastern Conference of the NBA. However, all teams seem to be improving, and the enthusiasm that has been barren in this area might been on the rise.

With the exception of the Washington Capitals, who have been strong playoff and contenders since drafting superstar left winger, Alexander Ovechkin, all other professional sports teams in the DC area have struggled.

Nationals

The Nationals have been the most successful they have ever been since moving to DC. Led by Bryce Harper and Max Scherzer, the Nats are expected to be big contenders in the East again after missing out on the NLCS last year. They’ve added some pieces in the offseason like 1st baseman Adam Lind and right fielder Adam Eaton. It seems the Nats only lack that big time closer that all the World Series winning teams seam to have. The Nats hope to have a promising 2017-2018 season and bring home some hardware.

Wizards

The surprise of the NBA season could possibly be the Washington Wizards. Their solid starting five of John Wall, Bradley Beal, Marcin Gortat, Markieff Morris, and Otto Porter Jr. have led the Wiz to a third place spot in the Eastern Conference. The Wizards held an impressive 17 game win streak at home earlier in the season, losing in overtime after a back to back to the number one team in the East, the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Redskins

Right now, the Redskins control their own destiny. They are coming off a fairly successful season, barely missing out on a playoff spot. However, the Redskins could be in for a rough couple of years. Contract talks with their only solid quarterback in years, Kirk Cousins, have stalled. Also, contract talks with their top two wide receivers, Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson, have been limited, at best. The Redskins already fired their defensive coordinator earlier in the season, and their defensive unit ranked 28th in the league (total defense). If the Redskins can’t bring back their offensive weapons, they could be headed back to the dark days of the revolving quarterbacks and 7-9 records.

Washington Valor

The DC area is even introducing an arena football team, the Washington Valor. The Valor will be the fifth team added to the Arena Football League, and their uniforms will be red, white, and blue. The Valor will play at Verizon Center, and tickets for their upcoming 2017 season will soon be on sale. Their first game will be Apr. 7, against the Baltimore Brigade.

Mystics

The Washington Mystics were close to securing a playoff spot in 2016. They finished in 9th place in their conference, one spot out of the playoffs. The Mystics hope to start a successful campaign in May of 2017.

Hopefully the Redskins can retain their offensive stars, and start building a better defense. The Capitals and Wizards are playing great right now, and their hot streaks will almost certainly carry them to the playoffs. Washington sports teams have struggled over the past couple of decades, but now is the time to back our areas teams.