Stone Bridge Alumni Goes Pro

As the NFL draft comes to an end, the Ashburn community is eager to see what this season holds, as Stone Bridge alumni Jonathan Allen returns to play locally for the Washington Redskins.

Before the Pros

Allen played football at Stone Bridge for 3 years, and graduated in 2013, before going on to play at the University of Alabama. He was the seventeenth pick in the first round of the draft, and will be a defensive lineman for the team this season.

The new Redskin has struggled with shoulder issues, which have affected his football career in the past, but he has since been medically cleared to play, and his coaches don’t have any concerns about it.

Returning to NOVA

The draft results have brought excitement to the Ashburn and Stone Bridge community watching a former bulldog make it so far.

Many reached out to Allen via twitter to congratulate him, and he was the subject of news articles, and reports from news teams that visited Stone Bridge.

“It’s truly a blessing to be able to go back home and say I’m a part of the Washington Redskins,” Allen said in an interview with the Loudoun Times.

A Great Pick

There were many attributes Allen had that Redskins head coach Jay Gruden liked, a main one being his versatility on the field.

Gruden picked him for his desirable size, strength, and ability to play all the positions on the defensive line. Allen’s skills even proved prize-worthy, when he won a Nagurski Trophy for National Defensive Player of the Year in December of 2016.

Hopeful Season

There is much anticipation from Allen’s hometown to watch him play for Washington’s team, including those from his alma mater.

Stone Bridge Alumni Goes Pro