Best Feature faux pas highlight of 89th Oscars

Kate Harwood, Staff Writer

The 89th Oscars held at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood, CA, was highly anticipated for actors, moviegoers, and avid fans nationwide.

The Oscars premiered on ABC at 8pm and was hosted by Late Night Show Host Jimmy Kimmel.

The Oscar ceremony sent forth the message of art positivity. The President of the Academy, Cheryl Boone, stated, “We stand up to those who try to limit our freedom of expression, and we stand up for this principle: that all creative artists around the world are connected by that unbreakable bond more powerful and permanent than nationality and politics. And, just as our work does not stop at borders, borders cannot be allowed to stop any of us.” She was followed with thunderous applause, gaining support of her fellow artists and the nominees of the night. However the main message of Inspiration in Films was the highlight of the night. “Tonight, we celebrate the magic of the movies,”Boone said.

The glitz and glam of Hollywood shined throughout the night including the stunning gowns, beautiful music, and celebrated performances of the night. The main theme of the Oscars is Inspiration, based on being inspired by others to achieve the highest of honors and greatest of heights. Inspirations included Shirley MaClaine, Michael J. Fox, and The Dolorian. Goofs of the night included candy falling from the ceiling, Seth Rogen singing The Schuyler Sisters from Hamilton, Oscar edition of Mean Tweets, Jimmy Kimmel pranking a Hollywood tour bus and letting regular people meet the celebrities, and Kimmel and Sunny Pawar reenacted The Lion King opening lift which left the audience in laughter. The night was filled with good laughs and touching speeches.

Various music performances included nominees Sting, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Auli’i Cravalho, Justin Timberlake, John Legend, and the touching In Memoriam Tribute sung by Sara Bareilles.

The tension in the Dolby Theater was so palpable, it could cut it with a knife. As the ceremony came winding down, the anticipation was finally worth it. Emma Stone earned Best Actress for La La Land. Casey Affleck for his performance in Manchester by the Sea. Damien Chazelle earned his first Oscar for his directing in La La Land. However through an unfortunate mix up, Warren Beatty announced the wrong winner for Best Picture. Beatty received the wrong card for Best Picture and announced that La La Land won Best Picture. However, once the crew realized it was the wrong recipient, Kimmel announced that Moonlight received the Oscar for Best Picture. The cast and crew of La La Land were incredibly mature and gracious when handing over their Oscars to the cast and crew of Moonlight. It was historic mixup that will be remembered.

The list of nominations were incredibly competitive with highly anticipated for the results.

The winners of the Oscars went home successful and heavily congratulated. The 89th Oscars will surely be one that is hard to forget.