Stone Bridge Senior Impress on the Pitch

Cecilia Gagliano, Feature Editor

Emily Fox is the definition of raw talent when it comes to the sport of soccer, currently playing for the United States under-20 national soccer team. At just 18, Fox is making her mark in the soccer world.

Starting at age four, Fox knew this was a passion of hers, always striving to get better and never getting bored with it.

“My mom had signed me up for it when I was little and I really liked the whole aspect of being on a team,” Fox said.

As a freshman, Fox lead the Stone Bridge girls’ soccer to a 2-1 States victory against the Briar Woods Falcons. However, this was the last year Fox was going to play soccer for the Bulldogs, she would spend the next few years focusing on the club team FC Virginia.

While participating in a training session for the US under-18 team, Fox was given a chance to improve her skills and show what she had resulting in bigger opportunities.

“Being with the U-18 team really helped me improve on things I needed to work on, on and off the field whether it was mentally controlling my nerves or working on my in-step,” Fox said.

In 2015, Fox played for the first time internationally with the under-20 national soccer team in the CONCACAF women’s championship in Honduras which resulted in a big win for the U.S.

“When we won we went onto the podium with our entire team while streamers came pouring down as we got the trophy, it was a great feeling,” Fox said.

Just a year later Fox played in the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup in Papua New Guinea, helping her team win fourth place in the tournament after losing to North Korea in the semis. Despite that loss, Fox still had an unforgettable experience.

“The entire experience was awesome,” Fox said, “Anytime our bus left the hotel for games and trainings locals would always make sure to wave and cheer to us which I thought was cool.”

Apart from her playing with the U.S national soccer team, Fox is trying to focus on graduating school early by taking online classes. In early 2017 she will be attending University of North Carolina Chapel Hill to further her soccer career.

“Online school definitely has its setbacks because I’m missing out on school with friends, but it’s not much of an issue because I enjoy playing soccer so much and a lot of my teammates are also my friends,” Fox said.

Besides soccer, Fox enjoys other activities such as going to the beach, and concerts, traveling, hiking, singing and dancing—even though not done properly, noted Fox.

Fox has gotten to experience the soccer world in so many ways from her big win in Honduras, to walking the streets of Madrid with her teammates and watching an Athletico Madrid game.

“My favorite experience was going to Papua New Guinea, it’s something I’ll never forget,” Fox said.