Students Attended Annual Leadership Conference

Kate Harwood, Staff Writer

On Friday, April 28 through Saturday, April 29, 85 student representatives attended the VHSL Leadership Conference at Freedom High School. The students attended breakout sessions, a hype pep rally, and listened to three motivational speakers throughout the weekend.

The Conference

Arriving at Freedom, Friday afternoon, the students were welcomed by members of Freedom’s SCA, the Pep Band, and many enthusiastic teachers. The students were then settled into their home classroom and met with their Freedom Ambassadors for the weekend. Afterwards, the students went to the gym with the other schools to listen to the opening speaker, Stephen Ferguson.  Stephen Ferguson is a Martin Luther King Jr. impersonator and based hi speech off of the teachings of Dr. King. After the opening remarks, the students went to dinner, hosted by a popular restaurant, Glory Days.

After dinner, the students attended the Student Idea Share where they brainstormed and shared ideas of how to spread spirit throughout their schools. Before heading off to the Friday night debrief, the students met with their school and talked over the ideas they learned and then headed out for the Ice Cream Social, Dance, Bonfire, and Spirit Exchange. The students went home tired, but filled with excitement for the next day.

“I liked it because I met people all over Virginia, I got to be a leader and this conference gave me the opportunity,” junior Victoria Percherke said.

The next day, the students arrived at Freedom; they were welcomed to a Bagel Breakfast and then listened to the inspirational Keith Hawkins. He gave the students valuable lessons for the future, while balancing humor and when it was time to get serious.

The students then attended the breakout sessions they choose ahead of time. After regrouping from the Breakout Sessions, the students listened to Kyle Scheele. He gave a humorous wit about his school and childhood stories, while interlacing the lesson of leadership within them.

“All the speakers were so inspirational and had us crying laughing and then crying, period,” junior Sam Kukulich said.

After Kyle Scheele, the students attended their Community Service Project, writing letter to patients in the St. Jude’s Hospital. This project gave the students insight and allowed them to be inspired to donate to St. Jude’s. The conference concluded with a hype pep rally, connecting all the students through school spirit.

“I loved leading and getting hype during the pep rally, during the Conference I did not feel like an outcast,” Percherke said.

After the Closing Remarks, the students parted with their new friends, inspired by what they learned to bring it back to Stone Bridge.

“It was so fun and motivating to see all these student leaders together who all work to make their own schools better, I learned a lot about what it means to be a effective leader,” junior Sharmita Maulik said.

The students were inspired by the lessons they learned at the leadership conference and were motivated to make Stone Bridge a spirited community.