Most-Anticipated Books for 2016

Neha Ogale, Opinions Editor

Background

This year 2016 is going to be a big one for book lovers as they await the release of several major works. Websites such as Goodreads have already compiled lists of must-reads for bookworms.

These lists are comprised of young adult novels, science books, and compelling works of various other categories. While many of the books are parts of series, here are some stand-alone works to keep an eye out for this year.

Fiction

Lovers of classic fiction novels are sure to be intrigued by Han Kang’s “The Vegetarian.” It tells the story of an ordinary woman who, after having a grotesquely bloody nightmare, decides to become a vegetarian. The novel chronicles her descent into an obsession with the lifestyle, as well as her husband’s and family’s reactions to it.

Those familiar with Yann Martel’s works (such as the beloved “Life of Pi”) should keep an eye out for his upcoming novel “The High Mountains of Portugal.” It tells the story of three men, in different points of time, who discover a journal that leads them on a quest to find an artifact that change history. It starts with a man named Tomas in 1904, moves to a Portuguese pathologist in 1939, and finishes with a Canadian senator in 1989.

In the world of young adult fiction, Ruta Sepetys’ newest historical fiction piece “Salt to the Sea” is a much-anticipated novel for 2016. Set during the winter of 1945, in the midst of the Second World War, it chronicles the events of an obscure tragedy involving refugees trying to escape the Soviet advance by trying to secure a place aboard the Wilhelm Gustloff.

Science

“Science nerds” and lovers of nonfiction alike should keep an eye out for Siddartha Mukherjee’s “The Gene: An Intimate History.” This biography intertwines the science of genetics, social history, and personal narrative as it chronicles the phenomenon of one of the greatest breakthroughs in biology.

Another scientific work to look out for is Sean Carroll’s “The Big Picture: On the Origins of Life, Meaning, and the Universe Itself,” which takes a dive into the physical world. A unique blend of biology, philosophy, and physics, it explores the questions on how the laws of nature have shaped humanity.

Memoir

Those familiar with Latin, or even those who are just looking for a story about finding yourself, should keep an eye out for Ann Patty’s “Living with a Dead Language: My Romance with Latin.” In this memoir, Patty shares her musings on her decision to quit her job as a New York City book editor and the path she followed toward learning a new language and finding herself. She talks about how learning and literature can change both the past and the future.

On a darker note, British journalist Matt Haig’s “Reasons to Stay Alive” is an account of his struggle with depression and his journey of overcoming it with the help of his family and girlfriend (now wife). Laced with touches of subtle humor, it is guaranteed to tug at even the stiffest of heartstrings and will appeal to readers whose lives have been affected by mental illness.

Poetry

For those who favor rhythm and rhyme, collections of poetry are the way to go. This year, Aracelis Girmay’s “The Black Maria” is something to look out for. It is comprised of African histories, chronicling the effects of racism in American culture and the question of human identity.

Most-Anticipated Books for 2016